Filling lentils, tasty chicken thighs and plenty of veg make this Slimming World curry a great alternative to a Friday night takeaway. It also contains some nutrient-rich turmeric.
Total time: 1:10
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 large butternut squash or pumpkin, deseeded and cut into bite-size chunks
- 100 g. dried red split lentils, washed and drained
- 6 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 tsp. turmeric
- 1 lime juice
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2cm fresh root ginger, grated
- 2 green chillies, seeded and chopped
- 3 tsp. ground coriander
- 2 tsp. cumin seeds
- 1 tsp. Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. ground fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp. mild chilli powder
- 2 tsp. cardamom seeds, crushed
- 8 skinless and boneless chicken thighs, quartered
- 1 pinch of salt and black pepper
- 1 Finely chopped fresh coriander, to serve
- Put the onion, squash or pumpkin, lentils and tomatoes into a wide heavy based saucepan and pour over enough cold water to just cover everything. Bring to the boil over a high heat then add the turmeric, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables have softened. Tip half of the mixture into a food processor and blend until smooth. Return the blended mixture to the vegetables and lentils in the saucepan and stir in the lime juice.
- Meanwhile, spray a non-stick frying pan with low-calorie cooking spray and place over a medium heat. Add the garlic, ginger and chillies and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes, then add all the spices and stir-fry for 1-2 minutes. Add the chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes to seal in the lovely flavours then stir everything into the lentils.
- Bring the chicken and lentils to the boil over a high heat, cover tightly and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and tender. Season to taste and scatter over some fresh coriander to serve.