This DW Fitness recipe is ideal for those who want to avoid meat products. What it lacks in complexity, it makes up for in flavour. It’s also suitable for vegans! This warming, low-calorie meal is highly nutritious. Aubergines are a great source of dietary fibre and offer a nice mix of vitamins B1, B3, B6 and K. Courgette is also an under-appreciated ingredient. It is a good source of magnesium, which is needed for 300 biochemical reactions in the body – not least muscle functionality.
- 2 aubergines (cut in to wedges)
- 3 small courgettes (sliced)
- 3 red or green peppers (sliced)
- 5 large tomatos
- 2 cloves of finely sliced garlic
- 2 large red onions (chopped)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small bunch of basil
- 1 small pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of black pepper
- 1 tsp. sweetener
- 300 mL boiling water
- Firstly, you’ll want to soften your tomatoes with the boiling water. Score them twice each and pour the water over them. Leave for two minutes and drain off the liquid. Peel away the skins and cut the tomatoes roughly into quarters.
- Heat your oil in a casserole dish and add your red onions and sliced garlic. Cook them until they start to soften (around 10 minutes).
- Add the aubergine and courgette and cook for another five minutes.
- Throw in half of your fresh basil, season with salt, pepper and sweetener, and then cover the dish with a lid and leave to simmer on a low heat for 25 minutes.
- Finally, add your chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook for a further five minutes.